I recently purchased a Brand New monitor to use with my Macbook Pro 2015 Model. The LED looks awesome and it was fun to experience OSX Sierra on a 21.5-inch screen. But it became miserable once I used it for 5 minutes.
My Mac became terribly slow and in 2-3 more minute, it became unusable. This was a personal disaster. I don’t expect such things happening to a Mac while connecting one external display. Macs are efficient enough to run more than 2 Displays at one time. Especially my model the one with 16 GB Ram 2.4GHz Quad Core Processor.
After reading on Apple forums I discovered that my CPU had started running very fast and at high percentages.
My System value was up to 65%, and only 20% of the CPU was idle. Now I assumed one of the following things is wrong:
- Mac OS Sierra (because last time I connected an external display was with El Capitan and everything was fine)
- Poor HDMI Cable (but my Dish + TV were working fine with the same HDMI Cable)
- Problem with the Monitor itself
- Problem with one of the ports
How Did I solve it?
- New HDMI Cable.
- Yes, that’s it. Even if your HDMI cable is working with other devices doesn’t necessarily mean that it would work with Macbook as well.
- Reset your PRAM or SMC (Less likely, but may work)
- Clean your ports
- Clear Mac Cache or Clean your Mac of as much junk as possible. (makes no sense, but works for some people)
- In some cases, even a simple restart of Mac helped users solve this problem.
- Try connecting your Mac with other displays.
- Take Mac or Display to respective service centers.
thanks! Worked for me too.
Wow thank you for this. I tried everything including a factory reset, doing a clean install and still was being slow, then I suspected the external monitor. Changing the HDMI Cable fixed it, I cannot believe how simple of an issue this was. Thank you so much!!